Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 11 - Sedona, Arizona

The long and winding road to Sedona, about 50 miles southeast of Williams, is a 7% grade with narrow hairpin turns around sheer red rock cliffs. This is the Oak Creek Canyon. There is a mystery around every turn. For example, is their actually an Oak Creek? Why is there a Sedona and who decided that this was the best route? Will the next vehicle around the turn be over the centre line?  
Yes, there is an Oak Creek and it is best enjoyed at Slide Rock State Park where the rocks have been worn smooth by eons of water rushing downhill and have formed a natural waterslide. Among many locals and tourists, Frank enjoyed the thrill of the slide into the cold water pool at the bottom. Being something of a ninny about cold water, I decided that someone had to take pictures so I couldn’t possibly make the slide.
I managed to get pictures of Frank’s slide when suddenly, my life passed before my eyes. Well, at least the rest of the trip flashed before my eyes and it was blank. My camera suddenly stopped working. It simply, wouldn’t turn on. I gave it a rest for awhile, thinking that it might be the battery although it read fully charged at the beginning of the day. Still nothing. I even changed lenses in case the lens had somehow been damaged. Still nothing. Nonetheless we continued our drive to Sedona. Most of our trip so far, I have viewed through my camera lens. So, the prospect of being without it for the rest of the trip was unthinkable. But, just as we were entering Sedona and I felt myself slipping into a deep depression, there loomed right in front of us a huge sign: Rollie’s Cameras. A quick test by a professional photographer in the shop revealed that it was in fact the battery. It was no longer taking a charge and apparently when that happens, it often just shuts down. A replacement battery at a mere cost of $30 and I was back snapping red rocks all over Sedona. (Maybe God keeps a summer place in Sedona – refer to the previous post).
Sedona is a picturesque town with buildings, walkways, and stone fences the colour of the rocks in the surrounding mountains. It has a lot to offer with its many boutiques and galleries. But, we chose to follow a scenic drive mapped out by a volunteer at the Visitors Centre which took us to Red Rock State Park where we viewed Cathedral Rock, reputed to be the most photographed location in the US. The cicadas were in full song when we arrived at the park and were so loud it was difficult to hear the ranger explaining to us what was making all the racket.
Many of the state parks in Arizona charge or, in this case, overcharge for parking or day use of their facility. We found the $10.00 fee a bit steep, especially since we also paid $10.00 at Slide Rock State Park. In retrospect, we might have stayed in town and enjoyed a latte or ice cream and scoped out the various boutiques.  But, I’ve learned on a long road trip such as this, there is no point in having regrets. Even if we miss doing or seeing something, we have done or seen something else that is new and on some level, wonderful. I have decided one thing, though. I don’t think I have to see any more red rocks.
Until tomorrow . . . .

1 comment: